Total Pageviews

14 November 2011

External Design- AoC Gold Awards 2012

(I will probably go with this design as my final piece as I like the angle of the award) 

For External Design at college we have to design and make a prototype for the Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery to either go on the wall in the Atrium or in the glass cabinet. Then we had to chose which award we wanted to design- the AoC Gold Award (6 awards) or the Media Innovation Awards (16 awards) I chose the Gold Award because if I won I would only have to make 6. It was a bit off putting at first as for the past 7 years it has always been a glass awards and because I work in ceramics I felt a bit like whats the point of even trying almost. But once I got some ideas flowing I started to enjoy it and thought that if you can made a piece in glass you can make it in ceramics. I started to research into stone sculptures, organic and abstract forms as there isn't any ceramic awards out there. I did look briefly at glass awards and did get some ideas through that. But I settled for a design which was a double bowl with 6 different pierced patterns on the outside bowl but with the same shape and font. The bowls would sit inside each other with a slab to cover up the gap. On the slab would include the text ' AoC Gold Awards 2012' (using metal letter stamps) as instructed on the brief. Also on the brief was to include an element of gold which I am going to use on the letters and possibly on the rim of the patterns. I have also experimented with different angles of the award and I like the idea of having it tilted at an angle to view the writing and the inside bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment